Thursday, November 3, 2011

Poems From the Road



THE CHASE – (dedicated to my students)
--------------------------------------
From coast to coast
The sun I chase,
O’er peaks and valleys,
Blinded by my haste.

From Glacial ruins,
To fields of golden grain,
Past sea-like lakes,
Through thunder, wind and rain.

I see my end, as it’s contained
Within the rise and fall of our sky’s flame.

I smell the firs, the fruit and sea,
And find my end in what will never be.




LYING STILL
--------------
Death becomes me
Lying still,
Devoid of thought,
With nothing left to feel.

A new release
Found on my brow,
Carefree in nothing --
No pain to handle now.

What sorrow brought
In day to day,
Is now exhaled
And fades away.

No lust to fan
The flames of loins,
There is no fear
In where I’m going.

To sacrifice the draw of breath,
To choose, and love, and be loved back,
Comes with rewards beyond the thrill,
No hurt to heal – when lying deathly still.


OUR ROAD – (dedicated to Dionne Hartunian and Jay Lazerwitz)
-----------------------------------------------------------
The road forgives
Our use and wear,
She grips us tight
When death we dare.

She listens closely
To our wail,
She bares with patience
as we emerge from city’s laiR

When we are lost
She helps us find the way,
She may be tough
But with her we will stay.

Though sometimes barely there,
And often filled with ruts,
We seek her still,
And take the wisdom of her bumps.

When on her
The going may be slow,
But when she’s gone
There’s no where left for us to go.

And if we sit
Too long in place,
We lose our selves
And are like holes in time and space

So always forward we will ride,
And throw the throttle back a nigh.
And let the wind make clear our head,
And let the road our suff’ring mend.

No comments:

Post a Comment